There are lots of reasons why you should choose to study an MBA in Canada. Canada is tagged as the world’s most educated country with seven of the world’s top 150 universities based in Canada. Canada over the years has become a safe haven for international students with its affordable education, world-class resources, good standard of living, and multicultural exposure.
Why study an MBA in Canada?
Canada is becoming the most preferred country for international students especially for those looking to study MBA in Canada, this is because after completing your MBA, all international students are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Universities in Canada offer you job opportunities so its really easy for you to transition from studying to legal working status.
Another great reason why you need to pursue MBA in Canada is that it is more affordable compared to other countries like the UK and the USA, also Canada degree has high placement value in the world and is highly recognized throughout the world.
Cost/quality of life
Canada offers a high-quality lifestyle to its citizens. There are many benefits to becoming a Canadian citizen as the state will provide you world-class health care services. The average tuition fee to pursue an MBA in Canada is between $30,000 to $40,000 which is far less if you compare them to the tuition fee in the US or the UK.
Financial aid and scholarships in Canada
There is a limited scope when it comes to getting financial aid for international students who are pursuing an MBA in Canada, this is as a result of MBA being a professional course. However, based on academic performance and other achievements relevant to the program, some students might be able to get a scholarship program.
Many times, students are awarded part waiver (this means that the student only gets to pay half of what it cost to fund their education) in their pursuit of an MBA in Canada because of their top scores in GMAT and other academic achievements. Besides this, students can also apply for these popular scholarship programs;
- Go clean scholarship: this is a scholarship that is awarded to meritorious students that want to pursue their higher educations abroad.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS): this is a fellowship that is funded by the government, with the sole aim of providing quality education at the masters and doctoral levels.
- Central Sector Scheme of National Overseas Scholarship for SC etc. candidates- (All countries except the UK): this scholarship program is awarded to a meritorious student that wishes to pursue a master or Ph.D. abroad.
- University of Waterloo graduate scholarship: this graduate scholarship is been offered by the university of waterloo in honor of students pursuing graduate studies.
Top Business Schools for an MBA in Canada
|NO.||B-school||Ranking||Weighted/Average Post MBA Salary|
|1||University of Toronto – Rotman School of Management||#65 (Global)|
|2||Western University – Ivey Business School||#94 (Global)|
|3||Queen’s University- Stephen J.R. Smith School of Business||#100 (Global)|
|4||Schulich School of Business, York University||#69|
KUBS Worldwide Business Research Rankings
|6||McGill University – DesautelsFaculty of Management||#25 International Rank, Bloomberg Businessweek||$89,500|
|7||University of British Columbia – Sauder School of Business||#38|
QS Rank for Business Degrees
|8||University of Alberta||#101-#150|
QS Rank for Business Degrees
Requirements for studying MBA in Canada
- GMAT: in order to pursue an MBA in the top universities in Canada you are required to have a good GMAT score.
- Bachelor’s degree: you must obtain a bachelor’s degree from a well-recognized institution.
- Work experience: have a relevant work experience gives you an edge as most universities give preference to these with good work experience. It’s not really important but it gives you an edge over other aspirants.
- English language proficiency: for candidates who are applying from non-English speaking countries, its important you have your proof of English proficiency. You will have to secure good IELTS or TOEFL scores for securing admission.
While applying to study MBA in Canada, it’s important you start processing your application at least 15 to 18 months before the beginning of your target session. A good place to find the application form is on the university official website.
Here are some documents that are needed to pursue an MBA in Canada;
- Visa documents: the documents related to your visa is required.
- Academic records: this is the record that includes all documents related to your graduate program.
- Work experience: document relating or highlighting your work experience.
- Standard admission test: this includes your GMAT test scores and your English proficiency test score
- Proof of funding: you need to provide bank statements and financial reports.
- Letter of recommendation: you have to provide a letter of recommendation from your existing and previous supervisors. It could be from your previous supervisor or your graduate faculty, at least someone who has judged your work closely.
- Admission essay or statement of purpose: this is the most essential key as the admission committee will use this to evaluate you.
Advantages of pursuing an MBA
Studying MBA in Canada is one of the most effective ways you can gain management skills, one can learn how to effectively manage a business or businesses. Lots of companies out there would prefer to hire someone who can professionally handle business roles with effective communication skills and above all the ability to solve complex problems during difficult times in the business.
Some of the benefits of pursuing an MBA in Canada include;
- Simple visa and admission process.
- Internationally recognized degrees are offered at affordable cost by intuition in Canada.
- The internship program helps the student to get insight into the industry.
- Business programs offered by Canadian institutes give a boost to the careers of the MBA professional thus enhancing their earning potentials.
Job opportunities after MBA
As an MBA graduate, there is no dearth of opportunities for you if you are the right candidate. Once you have completed your MBA program, there are various sectors that are waiting to offer you job opportunities, these sectors include;
- Oil and gas
- It services
- Accounting and consultancy
- Legal jobs
- Health industries
Outside these sectors, you can also work for various departments in the Canadian government and help in the effective running of the administration. You can as well work in technical management, sales, marketing, project management, etc.
Here are a few links to expand your know-how